Friday, October 14, 2011

Post Camino

I went for a walk in the rain today. After 35 rain free days in Spain it has not stopped since my return to Canada. It seems fitting somehow, so let it rain. The weather sort of fits with my mood about being back home. I love my family, my dog, my home, my life, but miss the Camino like crazy. I have Camino dreams every night where I'm just walking. I wake up and have no idea where I am and one time I thought I was in a stone room, just like the Albergue at Ribadiso. I sat up, looked around and everything in my bedroom literally looked like stone in the darkness. I've been keeping myself busy but would rather be walking and according to the local weather forecast this rain is not going to stop anytime soon. Hey now's my chance to use that expensive raincoat that I carried across Spain!

People ask me, "what did you learn on the Camino?". Walking for 33 days changed the way I viewed the world. In the beginning I was so focused on how difficult it was and my discomfort and on 'just getting there'. Unfortunately when I walked over the Pyrenees I don't feel that i really saw the beauty because I was too wrapped up in the pain. As time progressed I got into the rhythm of walking and my body became stronger. It never stopped being difficult to walk over 20 per day though. What changed the most was my outlook of the world as I walked. Spain is very, very beautiful and I saw amazing mountain views as well as quaint little medieval villages and peaceful rivers. I stopped being worried about my destination and getting somewhere in time to get a bed. I began to enjoy every moment. I'm trying to imagine how this will still be possible when I return to work in a few days and will be sitting at a desk. It will certainly be an opportunity to practice keeping myself in the present moment. (That was me being positive about returning to work).

I've already started looking at other Camino paths, then immediately told myself, "are you crazy? It's too hard". Time will tell. Right now I'm going to my daughter's school to speak to a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds about a career choice in IT. Maybe I'll tell them to get an education so they can get a great job so that they can walk across Spain one day! :)
Buen Camino

7 comments:

  1. :) I'm very happy to have you home and am thankful for your "relaxed and joyful amongst the business" persona. You'll find your new camino, and in the meantime the old one will be within you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, welcome home. I have been very excited to live vicariously through your tales. Thank your for sharing your story with so much humour and honesty. I look forward to your return to work so I can hear more about your fantastic experiences. I am thrilled that your temporary desk on your first week back is beside me! See you Monday, Regis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I've just discovered your blog via Karin's. I'll be walking this route (a 1st for me) next year in June. Love that you kept a daily journal here - I'm going to start reading at the beginning now! Thx for all the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing Emilene. You have exciting months of planning ahead of you. I think June will be a wonderful time to be on the Camino. If you haven't already done so, sign up on the Camino forum (link on the right). Buen Camino to you.
    Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Catherine. I found you!
    I`m Roberto from Brazil. We have met in the Zubiri`s Hostal I think.
    I will read your posts as soon as posible, but I`m very happy to have found you.
    Me and my wife have arrived in Santiago at octuber 8th.
    If you remember me, please send me an e-mail to robertomfdias@gmail.com.

    For now, congratulations for your victory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roberto! Of course i remember! You and Elaine were two of the people who I enjoyed meeting the most. Let's all quite our jobs and go back to the Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Catherine, thanks so much for your Blog - i have just read through it all, and its fantastic. I leave in a week from Australia for St Jean Pied de Port with my 11 year old daughter - we are hoping to walk to Santiago.... I am so excited now. Thank-you again. from Allie

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.